Friday, January 15, 2010

Looking Brighter

January 14th
Today we woke up at 8 something and it was way too early. I hadn’t moved the entire night and can now say with complete confidence that jetlag and I are not friends. In fact we still have yet to make up. Our senora offered us an apple on the way out but I stuck to my granola bar which I didn’t realize would have to hold me until about 4. We were supposed to meet some other girls in our program outside of our apartment in the courtyard (they live on the other side) but after being out there for awhile with no sight of them, we decided to head to the Spanish-American Institute alone. Problem, we had no idea how to get there so after realizing we were going to be late we hailed a taxi and arrived on time! We felt so lazy, but no one was about to say we should walk. We all woke up with sore muscles and are thanking running through the airport and then lugging our huge bags around. On a positive note it was a solid workout! As was the walk home from the institute which takes about a half an hour.
Upon arrival to the institute we sat in a classroom where we met a director and 2 student affairs directors, one of whom met us at the airport (Sam.) They went over rules etc and one lady spoke only in Spanish, not so helpful, and our director informed us all that he would no longer speak to us in English first and if we did not understand what he was saying we needed to say, “no comprendo” and he would explain… This should be interesting. It is so weird to be surrounded by people that you literally have no idea what they’re saying. It is so frustrating for me and I can’t wait to learn! So far I just say, “si, si,” smile, nod and constantly say “lo siento” which means I’m sorry. As long as you try or make an effort they’re pretty understanding.
We learned about the internet at the institute and found out they do have free wi-fi. However, its only available during school hours so, form 8:30 to 4:30. This was hugely disconcerting because that means I can skype from there at 1:30am to about 11:30 am STL time. So I’m going to have to find an internet café because the snippets of internet I get at my senora’s is not strong.
Now on to bigger better things! We had an awesome day today! We got a tour of the Seville Cathedral it was so beautiful along with Alcazar which was so lush. I took lots of pictures! It was hard in the cathedral because the pictures turned out so dark but I managed to grab a couple good ones. I am totally going to struggle not taking pictures of just buildings etc but I will try grab someone to throw in the picture. I promise! The cathedral was originally as mosque but in 1218 became a Cathedral. The architecture was amazing. It was neat to see the differences in periodic design. Everything was SO ornate! Just the time behind every detail was ridiculous! I always think about the people who must have worked tirelessly to build such an incredible thing and how I’m glad it is still around to be appreciated, although I doubt it gets as much appreciation as it should.. The bell tower was added in the effort to make it a Christian church and we climbed all the way up 36 or so ramps (not stairs) to the top. If this type of physical effort is required I am going to be super toned! Haha The view up there was unbelievable. I can’t even begin to describe it.
Walking to the Cathedral

This is actually the bottom part of one of the organs. Paige you would have loved to see how cool this was!

The incredibly ornate ceiling

Tricia and me in front of where Christopher Columbus resides. He did lots of studying etc in Seville. I had no idea!

Katrina put on her elaborate crown for part of the tour. (Fell way behind the group capturing this picture)



One of the many breathless views from the bell tower we climbed and this is my current background :)

More of the beautiful views

After the chapel we headed to Alcazar, which is where all the royals in Seville have lived. I was trying to keep up with our tour guide but he spoke way too fast and with such an accent I ended up lagging behind taking picture after picture. Shocking I know, that I was consistently having to hurry to keep up with the group ☺ It was a beautiful place but I am sure it only becomes more beautiful with warmer weather. They said today was the first day of sunshine in weeks. I like to think we had something to do with that.. Or God had some pity on our miserable conditions before.. haha The gardens of Alcazar were huge, peacocks included! You could almost picture royal parties with people milling about in lavish gowns. It was shocking to me that these old historic pieces, like outside gazebos with detailed paintings that were beginning to show great wear and tear are not better taken care of. There were huge detailed tapestries hanging from the walls and they were blowing in the wind. As cool as it was to be able to see and think this is probably exactly how it was hundreds of years ago, I couldn’t help feeling like they should have preserved it more. I’m such an American..

The first part of Alcazar

The ceiling in one part of the building. It was sooo pretty

Katrina, Tricia, Laura and Me

Once back at the institute we decided that although we had walked tons today, we should walk home and start learning the path we would take. Luckily there were 3 other girls heading our direction so we all went together following the one girl who knew the way. It was a long walk that will be great for window-shopping because there are so many shops! Some parts are like an outdoor mall and they treat it that way because the sidewalks in front of the stores are so clean! As opposed to the sidewalks by the street which dogs relieve themselves on.. So gross! Most of the shops were closed because we were walking past around 3:30 and that is the “siesta” period. Literally stores close down to take naps. And after arriving home for a lunch of lintel beans with half a carrot and a fourth of potato in our bowl siestas were on all of our minds. We were supposed to be woken up after an hour to go find a blow dryer but never were and thus we slept until about 7! Great for us, bad for the evening plans because we were supposed to see a Flamenco show with everyone! We missed it… However, considering the amount of sleep I got, I am only mildly disappointed ☺
Tricia wasn’t really feeling well once we woke up so we all put warm clothes on and curled up in her and Laura’s room with our computers to chat and attempt to get some internet. Not one of us could even connect which was quite frustrating! Our “sister” Victoria came in, we can see into her room from Laura and Tricia’s room. She knows very little English so Tricia and Katrina spoke to her the most. Laura and I would tell Tricia and Katrina to ask her this, or say this and so we were still into the conversation. This is pretty much how the communication in general goes for me. It is so frustrating! We ended up taking photobooth pictures, the distorted pictures you can take on a Mac, with her on Katrina’s laptop and we were all dying laughing! She called her mom in and they took pictures together too. They then told us how much fun we are and how glad they are to have us because the girls they had last semester were a bit more boring. Go us! Haha They are both so kind we are lucky to have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment