Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Pizza Party With Pijos


March 6th
I mentioned in my last post that I would be writing about my trip to Morocco but I realized that there was another important happening in between my two trips. So the Morocco trip will have to momentarily be placed on hold while you suffer through some details of my Spanish life.

The week we got home from Madrid brought the relaxation that comes with knowing your next exams will not be for weeks. So, while I went to all my classes I can’t say my brain was entirely there. Thus, when we were invited to dinner by the Spanish boys we met earlier, we jumped at the chance. We were feeling quite adventurous as we showered and got ready for our eventful evening and we left the house in a rush because, go figure, we were late. Plus, we promised to bring some wine and we needed to grab that before we met up with the other two girls that were coming (Kelly and Katie). When we happened across a gas station, we assumed they would sell alcohol like they do in the states. However, the only thing we could find was a giant juice-box of sangria. It was 1 euro and we decided it was unacceptable to actually show up with. So, as any logical girls would do, we purchased the juice-box and finished it in on our quest for legitimate wine.

We met up with the other American girls who were going to be dinner guests, found some wine to present to our new Spanish friends and headed across the bridge to Triana (the part of Seville that lies on the opposite side of the river). As we were crossing the bridge Kelly called Carlos to tell him we were almost there and he said he was standing on the corner with a few of the guys waiting for us. I don’t know what it was exactly, either somehting about this phrase or that I realized our plans were actually happening, but I started to really freak out. What were we doing going to meet random Spanish guys? Hadn’t I heard of the movie Taken? What if this was a trap and we were about to be kidnapped? I can’t even speak Spanish! My brain argued back with the fact that these guys weren’t creepy last time, they seemed genuine and funny from what I recall, they are studying engineering at the University of Seville and were “pijos” (whch means preppy if you recall) so they weren't hooligans which is usually a good indication..

So as we started to approach the guys I slunk to the back of the group as if Carlos and the two friends he brought with him were going to start snatching us in which case, since I was in the back, I would have enough time to run away. These were legitimately my thoughts and at the time seemed not only logical, but smart. They all started to say hello to each of us (six girls total) with a kiss on each cheek and I quickly realized I would not understand a word tonight because, as I should have guessed, everyone was speaking Spanish. Therefore, when the guys started leading us to their apartment I again found myself slinking to the back of the group. So, I was more than surprised to see one of the guys drop back with me and start chattering away in Spanish. I looked at him dumbfounded. I recognized him from the night we had gone out with them before but I couldn’t remember his name. So I laughed and said “No hablo espanol” to which he looked at me quite seriously and said in English “What? Haley, you were speaking Spanish to me the other night.” I tried to explain that he must have me mixed up with someone else but he told me he was sure that it was me. Oh wow, I must have had more fun than I thought that night! Good news though, this guy could speak English and that was a huge relief!

When we arrived at the apartment it was a bit awkward with introductions and the exchanges of cheek-kisses with cute strange men (not that I’m complaining!) For about the first 5 minutes I was very on edge looking at doors, windows and thinking of an escape route until I started taking in more of the details of my surroundings. There was a playstation with multiple controllers, laptops, signs on the wall with pictures and writings drawn but most importantly, beer bottles. This was clearly the Spanish version of a frat house and I started to feel much more at home. ☺

We're here!

Awkwardly waiting our next move

The boys opened a few large beer bottles (Don’t worry mom I watched them open it and there was no mysterious substance sprinkled in) and gave us all a nice full cup of beer. They then asked if we wanted to hang out inside or outside and due to the nice evening we voted on the outdoor patio. They were on the top floor so they had a nice view and after a bit of attempted conversation we decided to play some games. Luckily, I brought my cards and we set out to teach the boys how to play “Circle of Death.” This was quite a challenge and we changed some rules because it was so confusing but it was ultimately really fun and we all ended up laughing each time it was one of the guys’ turns.

Impromptu flamenco dance lesson

I was beginning to think there wasn’t going to be a real “dinner” aspect to the night but then the boys declared it time to eat. Enrique (who is also training to be a bull fighter or something) brought out some chicken that he made and dished it out to all of us. It was delicious! I kept asking who’s mom really made this but they swore it was actually Enrique. Gotta love a guy who can cook!

Enrique passing out his delicious dish. Clearly he's happy.

Next Carlos brought out a bunch of small pizza crusts, some pizza sauce, cheese and toppings, which consisted of tuna, bacon and hotdogs. Yes, those would be what the boys considered acceptable pizza toppings. I was skeptical but the guys were digging in. So I chose to sprinkle some bacon on and Miguel, the guy I was sitting next to, quickly told me that was not enough and proceeded to cut up two hotdogs with scissors. Apparently scissors, and I’m not talking the kitchen kind but the art-class kind with orange or blue finger holes, are an acceptable cooking utensil. I just sat there in shock watching this cute Spaniard cut up hot dogs onto my personal pan pizza thinking, is this real?

Confusion

When there's a blonde in need...

Helping to put the pizzas in the oven please note the "stuff" piled in the kitchen.

As a matter of fact it was real and I was just as surprised at that fact as I was to find that the pizza they brought out, hot dogs and all, was actually really good! Now, I’ve become accustomed to eating whatever is in front of me lately but I truly believe I wasn’t in a “hunger trance” but genuinely liked the odd pizza. The boys were very polite in serving the ladies first. They used the art-class-scissors again to cut the pizza into pieces (a multipurpose kitchen utensil none the less!) and there began to be a silent lull at the table. We were all enjoying our pizza, beer, chilly night and good company and with the slowing of conversation it was almost like we all got a good view of the nights events. How funny that we would be sitting here with new friends who we could only somewhat communicate with (barely on my end) and be completely at ease. It was as if I had known these guys for much longer than a few weeks and it was weird to think that college guys are probably pretty similar all over. I held on to that thought tightly, as I do anything that I find can ring true internationally, because such commonality is refreshing.

I mean scissors are scissors right? Why do you need a special "kitchen" pair.. hah

Someone loves Katie!

After dinner we all tried to help clean up but the boys said just to pile the plates in the kitchen. Clearly this had been their strategy for awhile because there was stuff piled all over the kitchen. Empty beer bottles, dirty plates, glasses food you name it, all sat in some sort of creative, balanced tower. Carlos quickly explained “Sorry we couldn’t get around to cleaning, we’ve been studying all day…” Yep, sounds just like my sarcastic friends at home! Haha

Next we congregated in the living room and the boys made sure all of our glasses were full before playing some rockin’ Spanish tunes. We were having fun with this for awhile until we decided to take control of the laptop and started playing American songs. The boys loved this, as did we! We were playing all these goofy rap songs from high school and middle school and singing every word. A personal favorite of theirs was “I Like Big Butts.” They were literally rolling around laughing so hard at us as we were singing and dancing around the living room. It had to be the highlight of the night for me! (Partially because it is one of the only rap songs that I actually know most of the words too..)

Patstar doing my signature hand move

The girls and I were very intrigued as to what the big pieces of paper with the pictures and scribbling all over them that were hanging on the wall above their couches were there for. After inquiring we found out that each piece of paper was for a big party they had had that everyone in attendance had signed. Before we knew it they had made a little paper-poster just for us and we were signing it as well! Obviously this was a monumental party.

Party signs

Our addition!

When Laura and I caught each other yawning across the room we decided we should probably call it a night. However, when we made this known, the boys flew into a “No, no it’s way too early!” It definitely wasn’t early, but maybe on the Spanish schedule it was. They started deciding where the night should lead us but there was no convincing Lo and me, but the other girls rallied and voted on going out with the guys. So we passed out hugs and kisses, thanked our lovely hosts and bid them all a farewell!

We walked out of the apartment complex with everyone and Miguel hopped on his moped. I stopped in my tracks. Wait is that really a moped? Hold on...this guy was exactly what I had been searching for. Not only was he super cute, could communicate with me through broken bits of each other’s languages, wasn’t creepy and was really smart but most importantly.. he had a MOPED! Being the avid Mary-Kate and Ashley fan that I am.. I mean was, this had always played a very large role in my daydreaming of boys. For those of you who don’t know (which should be no one if I call you a friend), multiple plots in MK and Ash’s movies include a moped, (Passport to Paris, When in Rome, Our Lips Are Sealed.. I could go on). So, a very serious goal of mine since the age of 9 has been to ride on the back of a moped with my arms wrapped around a cute boy. Therefore, the sight of Miguel literally slowed my steps. What should I do? Ask for a ride? No, no definitely need to play it cool. Should I all of the sudden switch my plans and decide to go out? I’m super tired and I can’t let Laura go home alone. So, all there was left to do was to continue dreaming and I vowed to myself that next time I would most definitely get a ride on that bike.

There he is... Ok this is creepy but I swear I didn't actually take this picture. Although I'm not sure who did.. I was definitely too shocked to move though so it wasn't me!

Being so close to fulfilling a dream and walking away from it into the night was very painful but when I dropped into my bed later, I was content with the certainty that there was still time. It was a great evening and I was excited to have made more friends. So as I closed my eyes to drift off to visions of me (as Ashley Olsen) on a moped I was a very happy girl.

Little did I know that probably about the very time I was enjoying my dreams my friend Kelly was fulfilling them. The next day at school she informed me that Miguel had taken her home on the back of his moped. My jaw dropped. I wanted to stomp on her big toe and hug her in excitement but decided to settle for a “Oh my gosh no way!?” She said it was so fun and hilarious and that she really loved that group of guys. I had to agree and we all decided to make sure we kept in touch with them. I was pretty sure we would A) because I wanted a ride on that moped and B) because the boys had already said they would let us use their kitchen so we could make dinner for them.. Aw, such gentlemen ☺

What a lucky brat...

1 comment:

  1. Another great DESCRIPTIVE addition! Good to know that you follow all (okay, some ) of my safety advice. You are living the dream :) XXOO

    ReplyDelete